Brazilian Coffee Creamy Chicken Risotto Recipe
Roasted chicken and pumpkin chunks are stirred into this tropical stock and orange flavored Brazilian Coffee Creamy Chicken Risotto Recipe.
The first time I learned to make risotto was back in the late 70’s. I was about 16 to 17 years old and we had no quality ingredients in Brazil. It was made with common rice and preserved mushrooms. The rest, pretty much the same way as a basic saffron/parmesan recipe. About 10 years after that, arborio rice and a fantastic variety of mushrooms became available in my country.
I had this idea of creating a risotto recipe with coffee and other Brazilian traditional ingredients and seasonings. Researching the internet, I found inspiration to combine into my concept.
- 1 cup cubed chicken, or turkey, breast
- 1 cups cubed pumpkin, or any squash you desire.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Sea salt to taste
- Ground white pepper to taste
- 4 cups Chicken Stock, with very little salt
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 tiny pinch of ground cinnamon and cloves.
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 1/4 cups Arborio rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup chopped dried pineapple
- 1/2 teaspoon instant Brazilian Coffee.
- Parmesan cheese to taste. (recommended optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Toss pumpkin and chicken chunks lightly with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of sea salt and white pepper.
- Spread on a roasting pan and bake in preheated oven until fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Combine chicken stock, orange juice, rosemary and cinnamon/cloves pinch in a saucepan. (Really make the spaces to taste! We don't want to overseason with them. This is suposed to be subtle)
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low or a heat level that allows it to slowly simmer.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until the onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add Arborio rice and cook and stir until rice is coated and starting to toast, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour in 1 cup of the chicken/orange stock mixture and stir until liquid is absorbed into the rice.
- Continue to stock 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until well absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup, until all the liquid has been added, about 30 minutes.
- Check the saltiness frequently.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Discard rosemary sprig.
- Stir in roasted butternut squash and chicken, half the butter, and dried pineapples.
- Season with instant coffee, salt and white pepper.
- Add on 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese and 1-2 tablespoons of butter , although optional, highly recommended.
- Cover for a minute. (Pay attnetion not to let the risotto get cold)
- Top with chopped pecans.
Rosting the squash and chicken can be a bit tricky since the meat can let out some juice. The idea is to achieve a browny somewhat caramelized result.
You may also garnish the risotto with freash basil leaves and parmesan shavings.
My friends loved it.
If you like recipes with coffee, or something to go with coffee, take a look.
Please leave a comment about this Brazilian Coffee Creamy Chicken Risotto Recipe.